Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Assignment One

I agree with Clifford Lynch when he says that “Both forms of literacy are essential for individuals to function and succeed in today’s society; they are distinct but inter-related.” I’ve worked in a public library for five years and have worked with older generations who do not know how to use computers. (Try explaining what email and the internet to a ninty year old man was one of these highlights.) You need to be able to know how to search for items online, since even my little library keeps their card cataloge away from patrons. From what I’ve seen most libraries are encourging people to learn how to use electronic means of finding items.

In Jason Vaughan’s Lied Library he speaks of many things (like laptop checks out colleges) that are familiar to me now and probably most other college students. These things seem to be taken for granted now. Even the Carngie went through a compter replacement for all its libraries.

Information Format Trend merely showed a development that has been happening for years. Slowly at first then explanding rapidly. I remember when my library had one computer (dial up too no less), now we have 10 in the adult library and 8 in the childrens with DSL hook up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised by how many people still come into our library and ask where the card catalog is. I do sometimes feel for older patrons who are not experienced in the technology that's replaced what they're used to, but when it's someone that looks to be in their 20s or 30s, I wonder how they haven't noticed how quickly computers have replaced them, and how much easier it is to search the online catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! The lose of a card catalog to libraries is still having lasting effects. People who were used to using them sometimes have the hardest trouble adjusting to the computer format.

    ReplyDelete