Saturday, September 19, 2009

Readings for 9/22

Database: I did not realize that databases were so complicated. I had really expected something a little simpler, silly me. Also the amount variety of databases is astounding. Each different type is interesting in its own way, especially the In-memory database which is used for 911.

Metadata: What an intriguing name! Metadata! Sounds like a metal band. This article actually confused me greatly so I’m going to take a stab at what I think metadata is. So what I gathered about metadata is that it is all the information on a given subject creating a completely knowledge of said subject. It involves three aspects: one content which would be what the information on the subject is, context which would be in what format the information is, and structure which is relating information to the subject. (if I’m wrong, please please someone correct me.) Because of the intensity of metadata, its importance to the development of databases is exceedingly high.

Dublin: I am not the best at reading technical documents (I’m an English major for cryin’ out loud!) so please forgive me on the confusion with this article. What I understand is that Dublin is a type of database that collects cross reference materials so that the metadata on individual subjects is complete. The amount of work put into this project is astounding and lengthy. It is rather cool that this will be a continuing process as more information is gathered and created.

2 comments:

  1. From what I understood of the article, you've probably had more experience with metadata than you think in working at the library for so long, in terms of cataloging, indexing, etc. But I agree, I was a little confused by the article and I'm looking forward to hearing more about this subject in class next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it was also difficult for me to fully understand these articles, especially the Metadata and Dublin Core readings. I'm usually able to understand difficult technical material if I read it over several times but the Dublin Core article still confused me even after several attempts. I hope that this will make more sense and come together when they are explained in class this week.

    ReplyDelete