Monday, November 2, 2009

Readings for 11/17

Web Search Part 1
• I constantly use search engines, preferably Yahoo!, but will use Google if Yahoo!’s responses are lacking.
• Never thought of how search engines don’t show restricted data
• On the Go
• You learn to use engines of how to search
- the best way or words to use to find a specific subject

Web Search Part 2
• Ever look at Yahoo!’s top searches for that day?
• DSL makes you forget how much is going on to obtain your search results and then the page itself
• Term look up- God Bless spell check or Google’s suggestions
• “average query length is around 2.3 words”
• The amount of info that goes into the search like how an engine presents its findings

The Deep Web
• I normally give up after looking through 6 pages of search results
• Search engines- Google, Directory- Yahoo!
• The illustrations explained more than some of the text

2 comments:

  1. I second the appreciation for Google's suggestions and spelling corrections. I don't see why they aren't working harder to incorporate that into our library catalogs. I have had so many instances where based on the information a patron gave me about title/author there was just no way to find it in our catalog because it was too far from the accurate spelling or title, but typing it into Google or Amazon helped me figure out what they were actually looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Doing projects for Pitt's Info Sci library that involve catalog searches on PittCat suck. If I forget one letter or the title that was given to me to search for is wrong by a single word, I receive no help in searching! Maybe we'll revolutionize library science with these ideas!

    ReplyDelete