Friday, October 9, 2009

10/20 Readings

Dismantling Integrated Library Systems: People today are spoiled with their instant responses of information. Because of this, people are impatient and become frustrated when it takes more time then they expected to receive this information. It is also hard to fit to one system of classification, it either takes too much time, too much money, or the librarians are so set in their ways that they don’t want to change.

How Internet Infrastructure Works: Jeff Tyson says that, “One of the greatest things about the Internet is that nobody really owns it.” While that may be true, people do own their own spots, especially if money is involved. Most people own the information they put up, like personal artwork and so it is copyrighted. I also find binary to be fascinating! Two numbers can make up complete sentences! DNS servers sound just like the firing of neurons in the brain.

Sergey Brin and Larry Page: I actually only recently became a fan of google. Before that I really relied on Yahoo! Because it was what I was used to. I still use both of them, especially if one doesn’t give me the results I want, then the other one does. I also enjoy google’s sense of humor. For example, type into google: ‘worst band in the world’ and it will give you like three pages then supply the results for the band Creed.

4 comments:

  1. "For example, type into google: ‘worst band in the world’ and it will give you like three pages then supply the results for the band Creed."
    That's hilarious. I've always used yahoo too, much like you because it's what I'm used to. I don't think I fully understand the ways in which yahoo & google are any different from each other, but apparently I need to get with the program and start using google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use google for searching, but that's just what I am used to. Still, I agree with you and I still use yahoo and other search engines if google doesn't give me the results I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy google’s sense of humor. For example, type into google: ‘worst band in the world’ and it will give you like three pages then supply the results for the band Creed.

    I also enjoy Google's sense of humor - I know of a game where you type in something to both Yahoo and Google's search engines and see what comes up for both of them, and Google's usually ends up being funnier. For example, typing in "How to raise your" to Yahoo brings up "How to raise your credit score" while for Google it brings up "How to raise your IQ by eating gifted children". I wonder if this is something conscious Google does in order to attract more users, because it seems pretty consistent the more times you try it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It also makes me wonder what it's like working for Google as an employee. It must be very entertaining and laid back!

    ReplyDelete